Philippine government lawyers have opposed Nobel Peace Prize winner Maria Ressa going to Oslo next month to collect her award in person, describing the journalist in court documents as a flight risk.
Ressa, co-founder of news website Rappler, and Russian journalist Dmitry Muratov were awarded the prize in October for their efforts to safeguard freedom of expression.
The former CNN correspondent, who is on bail pending an appeal against a conviction last year in a cyberlibel case, has applied for court approval to travel to Norway for the Dec. 10 ceremony.
But the solicitor general has filed an objection to the Court of Appeals arguing that Ressa’s right to travel was “not absolute” and she had not shown a “compelling reason” for going to Oslo, according to a copy of the document seen by AFP on Nov. 25.
“Her recurring criticisms of the Philippine legal processes in the international community reveal her lack of respect for the judicial system, which consequently makes her a flight risk,” the solicitor general said in the document dated Nov. 8.
A ruling by the Court of Appeals is pending.
Ressa, who is also a US citizen, is currently in the United States after receiving court approval to travel there
Ressa has been a staunch critic of President Rodrigo Duterte and his government’s policies, including a drug war that has killed thousands.
Since Duterte was swept to power in 2016, Ressa and Rappler have endured what media advocates say is a grinding series of criminal charges, investigations and online attacks.
She faces a total of seven court cases, including the appeal against a conviction in the cyberlibel case, for which she faces up to six years in prison.
Ressa, who is also a US citizen, is currently in the United States after receiving court approval to travel there.
Thank you. You are now signed up to Daily newsletter
The Nobel Institute said it was a “disgrace for any nation not to release its citizens to travel to Oslo to receive the Nobel Peace Prize.”
Support UCA News…
….as we enter the last months of 2021, we are asking readers like you to help us keep UCA News free.
For the last 40 years, UCA News has remained the most trusted and independent Catholic news and information service from Asia. Every week, we publish nearly 100 news reports, feature stories, commentaries, podcasts and video broadcasts that are exclusive and in-depth, and developed from a view of the world and the Church through informed Catholic eyes.
Our journalistic standards are as high as any in the quality press; our focus is particularly on a fast-growing part of the world – Asia – where, in some countries the Church is growing faster than pastoral resources can respond to – South Korea, Vietnam and India to name just three.
And UCA News has the advantage of having in its ranks local reporters who cover 23 countries in south, southeast, and east Asia. We report the stories of local people and their experiences in a way that Western news outlets simply don’t have the resources to reach. And we report on the emerging life of new Churches in old lands where being a Catholic can at times be very dangerous.
With dwindling support from funding partners in Europe and the USA, we need to call on the support of those who benefit from our work.
Click here to find out the ways you can support UCA News. You can make a difference for as little as US$5…
Credit: Source link